Hunton & Williams LLP’s Global Privacy and Cybersecurity practice is known throughout the world for its deep experience, breadth of knowledge and outstanding client service. The firm is a leader in its field and has been recognized by these publications:
- Computerworld magazine as the top law firm globally for privacy and data security in all of its four surveys;
- Chambers and Partners as the top privacy and data security practice in its Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Chambers Europe and Chambers UK guides; and
- The Legal 500 United States in “Tier 1” for cyber crime and data protection and privacy.
Since 2001, the firm has been home to the Centre for Information Policy Leadership at Hunton & Williams LLP, a privacy think tank that provides strategic consulting services and helps clients develop global privacy and data security strategies for today’s digital economy. With nearly 40 members, the Centre also provides clients with a forum for developing privacy solutions and brings together companies, consumer leaders and senior policymakers to develop next-generation privacy principles to facilitate global digital information flows.
Areas of Experience
Hunton & Williams’ global privacy and cybersecurity practice group focuses on providing legal services in the following areas:
- Compliance with all U.S. federal and state privacy and information management requirements, including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, HIPAA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act, CAN-SPAM, state and federal security breach notification laws, state Social Security laws, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, and other federal and state requirements;
- Compliance with all international data protection laws, including the EU Data Protection and Telecommunications Privacy Directives and member state implementations thereof (including U.S. Safe Harbor requirements, model contracts and binding corporate rules), and the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA);
- Comprehensive assistance with significant information security breaches, including network intrusion investigations, customer notification, state and federal regulatory negotiations, discussions with payment card issuers, as well as public relations, call center and investor relations communications and training;
- Preventing and managing cyber events, from security planning and prevention of cyber intrusions, to incident response and handling of litigation and disputes arising from such events;
- Performance of comprehensive privacy and information management assessments, including preparation of data flow maps and privacy policies and procedures;
- Development and implementation of privacy and data use policies and procedures that comply with applicable laws and generate consumer and business partner confidence, revenue and flexibility;
- Development and implementation of programs to protect global information assets, including legislative and regulatory advocacy;
- Assistance with information product life cycle issues, including product promotion, customer profiling, targeted marketing, channel definition and expansion, franchising, branding, advertising, warranties and pricing;
- Drafting and negotiation of vendor contracts and information use and distribution agreements; and,
- Assistance with dispute resolution, management of consumer concerns, response to allegations of misuse of data, state and federal investigations (including actions and requests for information from state attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission) and litigation.
About Hunton & Williams LLP
Since its establishment more than a century ago, Hunton & Williams has grown to 750 lawyers serving clients from 19 offices worldwide. With an industry focus on energy, financial services, consumer products and retail, and real estate, the firm’s global experience extends to myriad legal disciplines, including commercial litigation, corporate transactions and securities law, intellectual property, international and government relations, regulatory law, privacy and cybersecurity, and products liability. Visit www.hunton.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.