On September 27, 2011, OnStar announced it was reversing proposed changes to its Terms and Conditions that would have allowed the company to continue to receive data from former subscribers’ vehicles unless they specifically opted out. OnStar’s current Privacy Statement indicates that the GM subsidiary collects information regarding its customers’ vehicle operation, location, approximate speed, collision data and safety belt usage in connection with OnStar’s in-vehicle GPS navigation and emergency response services, and that the company “may share or sell” any of this data in anonymized form with third parties. OnStar recently notified customers by email that it would continue to collect data from former subscribers, and that it reserved the right to distribute such data to third parties. The announcement prompted a swift and strong reaction from members of Congress skeptical of the proposed policy changes.
This website is for general information purposes only. Information posted is not intended to be legal advice. For more information, please see the Disclaimer and Privacy Notice links.
Computerworld magazine has named Hunton & Williams the top firm for privacy for the fourth consecutive year based on a survey of more than 4,000 corporate privacy professionals.
SubscribeSubscribe to receive email updates
Please note that we use GIFs and Google Analytics performance cookies on our blog websites and in our newsletters in order to collate aggregate and anonymised statistical data about our websites and marketing campaigns. By subscribing, you agree to these cookies being served on your computer or other electronic device.
- Behavioral Advertising
- Centre for Information Policy Leadership
- European Union
- Financial Privacy
- Health Privacy
- Identity Theft
- Information Security
- Multimedia Resources
- Online Privacy
- Security Breach
- U.S. Federal Law
- U.S. State Law
- Workplace Privacy
- Fear not, the IRS won't be collecting your medical records May 24, 2013Led by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), a number of House Republicans asserted this week that the newly scandalized Internal Revenue Service, in its role as Obamacare enforcer, would . That was one of the latest reasons cited for repealing the 2010 law,... […]
- Misa calls for urgent media reforms May 24, 2013THE Media Institute of Southern Africa ? Zimbabwe Chapter (Misa-Zimbabwe) has made a passionate plea to government principals to urgently implement media reforms following the signing into law of the new Constitution by President Robert Mugabe on... […]
- Spying on the press raises questions on press freedom in USby Aydoğan Vatandaş* May 24, 2013If the subject is China or a country in the Middle East, it is quite normal to hear that journalists are under government surveillance for their news reports or investigations. But when it comes to the US where freedom of the press is protected by the... […]
- Zimbabwe: MISA Calls for Urgent Media Reforms May 24, 2013THE Media Institute of Southern Africa - Zimbabwe Chapter (Misa-Zimbabwe) has made a passionate plea to government principals to urgently implement media reforms following the signing into law of the new Constitution by President Robert Mugabe on... […]
- Forty-Seven Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide May 24, 2013Firm's Presence Increases by Six Attorneys in 2013 Rankings The 2013 Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide names forty-seven Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C. attorneys as “Leaders in Their Fields.”''' Mintz Levin... […]
- Civvies get grounding in flying May 24, 2013Source: The Courier-Mail FANCY yourself as a Top Gun but can't afford the pilot training? A Queensland firm may have the answer. Brisbane-based V-TOL Aerospace has begun rolling out the world's first regulator-approved remote pilot training for civilians... […]
- Forest Hills responds to lawsuit, federal report in student's assault May 24, 2013The victim, who was 15 when she was assaulted in 2010 by another student, has filed a federal lawsuit against the school district. She said she had to leave Forest Hills Central because of harassment both in and out of school after she made the... […]
- Virtual Piggy Partners with Award-Winning Game Developer JumpStart May 24, 2013LOS ANGELES Virtual Piggy, Inc. (OTCBB: VPIG), an innovator in safe youth payments, today announced a partnership with JumpStart, an award-winning educational software developer trusted by over 30 million parents. JumpStart has developed a leading edge... […]
- Latham & Watkins, Kirkland, Weil Gotshal: Business of Law May 24, 2013Latham & Watkins LLP's Zachary Fardon was nominated by President Obama to be U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago. He would replace Patrick Fitzgerald, who left last June and joined Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP. Before... […]
- What Google Glass Reveals About Privacy Fears May 24, 2013Marketing professionals have learned the hard way that no matter what they do or do not plan to do with consumer information, privacy matters. In part, that's because marketing has always been something of a black art. When an ad appears to speak to a... […]
- Fear not, the IRS won't be collecting your medical records May 24, 2013